Monday, June 15, 2009

No Surprises

I've never been a fan of surprises. Don't like surprise birthday parties. Didn't want to be surprised at the birth of my child. The way I see it, life is filled with enough surprises. Why make it more difficult or "exciting" by adding artificial surprises? I prefer to know as much about what is coming around the corner as I can.

Maybe it's my line of work. Maybe it's just the control freak in me. Either way, I like as much time as possible to think through issues and develop a plan of action. I'm much more comfortable if I can "chew" on an issue, bounce some ideas off other people and arrive at a solution.


This is not to say that I'm dysfunctional with surprises. I would like to think that over the years I have developed the ability to work well with them. But, if I had to wager, I would say that the majority of surprises are "uh-ohs," or bad surprises -- this is why I'm not a big fan.


Effectively dealing with surprises takes organization and the ability to foresee potential problems. Being organized helps when surprises strike because you don't have to worry about the mundane processes required to function in life -- having your finances in order, having your house in order, etc. The ability to foresee potential problems is a skill that is developed with experience. Foresight is an invaluable skill for dealing with surprises, but it takes the power of keen observation.


Getting the bad news as well as the good news means no surprises. Don't add extra stress to your life by seeking out surprises. Work on your organizational skills and foresight to effectively deal with the surprises that come around the corner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on.

Anonymous said...

Each day when I get out of bed I am suprised, thats enough for me.

Anonymous said...

I like the hypothesis that you're a control freak. That, in my mind, is a workable theory based on my experience with you (grin - just joking) But let's face it, some people like drama and are attracted to it. Therefore, they consciously (or even unconsciously) seek it out. Plus, our experiences have a lot to do with our inner belief system, as well as thought habits/patterns. If we all really paid attention to the true pattern of our thoughts on an on-going basis, I think we would all be amazed. Thoughts are powerful energetic magnets that attract like energy/experiences to them. Therefore, be mindful of what you are thinking!