Friday, December 18, 2009

I resolve to...

It's a little early to make New Year's resolutions, but I thought I would get an early start this year. Hell, I just thought I would get a start, because I usually don't make resolutions.

I don't make resolutions because they don't work. They don't work because you're trying to give up a vice that's near and dear to you; something like lose weight, but you like food too much, or exercise more to try to mitigate your love for food, and lose weight.

Resolutions take discipline. After all, you are resolving to do something different. To make a change in something you have identified with yourself that needs "fixing."

But, are you serious about making a change, or are you just resolving because it's what everyone does this time of the year, and you hope just because you've resolved something it will motivate you to make it reality?

If you're not serious, why set yourself up for failure? Why not think about what you're resolving to accomplish until you are really ready to make the change?

So, after prattling on about how unsuccessful New Year's resolutions are, and how I don't make them, I've made a resolution this year. I have resolved to stop saying:

- At the end of the day...
- It is what it is.
and
- In a perfect world...

Everyone uses these phrases. I recently heard a news story that referenced these phrases as a few of the most used/abused (and annoying) phrases of 2009. I realized that I use them and how silly they are, and have resolved not to use them any more. Pretty simple, huh?

Are you truly resolving to change anything with your life this New Year's?

Don't forget to sign up for Random Thoughts updates via email in the right margin.

Relates Random Thoughts:
Life as Business

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the end of the day, it is what it is. In a perfect world I would make a resolution and keep it. But it's not a perfect world. Making resolutions with absolute start dates/times doesn't work for me, I've learned over the years. So I will only say that I plan to leave 2010 a better and healthier person than I enter it as.
Peace to you Aaron, have a great holiday. We love you.

Claudia

Unknown said...

thanks, claudia. i think that is a great approach too the resolution conundrum. have a great holiday!