Saturday, April 5, 2008

Google Reader for Wii

In my previous post I mentioned aggregate readers tied to RSS feeds as a key component of harnessing collective intelligence in the Web 2.0 age. I also promised that, sometime in the future, I would write a post on aggregate readers, and I still intend to do that. However, this morning while surfing some older Google blog entries I came across an interesting post on using Google Reader with the Nintendo Wii gaming system. As a Google Reader fan, and new Wii system owner (Christmas) I was intrigued by this combination.

Before getting started, however, it's important to note that in order to use Google Reader with the Wii, your Wii must be connected to the net (I know that's a blinding flash of the obvious, but I thought I better float that small detail out there...). The other thing you're going to need is the Opera-based browser for the Wii, which can be purchased for a few dollars (Wii Points) through the Wii Shop Channel. Once you have this, you're all set. Fire up the browser on your Wii and navigate to google.reader.com. If you'd like to try the Google Reader interface in a regular browser, visit www.google.com/reader/wii to go into Wii mode.

The Opera browser is a little clunky -- you have to be patient entering URLs -- and navigating with the Wii remote can test your patience, but it was nice to sit in my Eames Lounge Chair and check out the updates that were flowing in to my Google Reader. It's not as efficient as a traditional browser, but it's better than what you get on a hand-held device such as a Blackberry. Below are the simple navigating instructions for using the Wii remote.
  • up/down: scroll up/down
  • right/left: next/previous item
  • 1 button: show subscriptions
  • 2 button: show links

When showing subscriptions:

  • up/down: previous/next subscription
  • right: select current subscription
  • left: close
  • -/+: collapse/expand folder
All things considered, I found the Google Reader on the Wii to be a good option if you're too lazy on a rainy Sunday morning to get your laptop.

If your interested in some more detail, check out Mihai Parparita's blog post. Also, check out the below video, which was also included as part of Parparita's post. Enjoy.

No comments: