Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Cutting" the DoD Budget???

Okay.  Lately I’ve been seeing many headlines about impending "budget cuts" at the pentagon.  What exactly does this mean?  I’m not an economist; in fact I was a C student in macro AND micro economics in college.  However, when I see the term budget cuts, to me that means some of the money in the big pot is going away. 

Does that make sense?  We still have Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines slogging it out in Iraq, and are getting ready to "surge" 17 thousand more troops into Afghanistan.  Does it make sense to cut the DoD budget?  One would think we would want to put more money into the pot to give service members everything they possible need, or want for that matter, to win these wars.

If the term budget cut means a reprioritizing of the DoD budget, that would make sense.  If it means taking some money from a pot for a specific project that is obviously questionable to the common man approach, that would make sense.  And there are clearly some big ticket defense projects throughout all of the services that do not pass the common man approach given the current state of the national security threats we are facing.

As a member of the military, I find it disconcerting when I see all the discussion about DoD budget cuts.  I can’t help but think to myself that we are losing sight of what should be the goal: to win the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and bring home the troops safely -- no matter what the cost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this way we can blame the next republican president for soldiers not having bullit proof vests, bionic knees, or whatever else we should be buying now but cant.