Friday, May 8, 2009

A Simple Leadership Philosophy

Concentrate on doing a single task as simply as you can, execute it flawlessly, take care of your people and go home.

I've read many wordy leadership philosophies that rambled on for several pages, and not a one of them said as much as the above statement. In my opinion its absolutely perfect.


Concentrate on a single task - This tells you to focus on the task at hand and nothing else;


execute that task flawlessly - It's the age old adage: If somethings worth doing, it's worth doing well;


take care of your people - The number one function of a leader;


go home - Complete the task and go spend time with your family and friends.


Unfortunately, this philosophy is not my original idea, but I can't tell you where it comes from... I believe I read it in a book about USMC bootcamp, and I've seen it attributed as a Marine leadership philosophy, but I've been a Marine for fifteen years and have never seen it utilized as a command philosophy.


The key with any leadership philosophy is in the execution. It's one thing to have a philosophy written on a piece of paper and communicated to your organization, it's another thing to live it every day and truly believe in the philosophy.

Image property of the Random Thoughts blog.

No comments: