Thursday, May 12, 2016

Top of the News - 12 May

*1. A Tesla Powerwall to Go With Your Tesla Car

Tesla's Powerwall, a 6.4-kilowatt-hour unit (whatever that means) that stores electricity from home solar systems and provides backup in the case of a conventional outage, has begun shipping. This just makes sense for sustainable, clean energy - a big battery that can help power your house and store energy from solar panels...and charge your Tesla car. I'm sure there is a lot more to it, and my Elon Musk man crush is clouding my judgment.

+ If you really want to know what Musk is up to with Tesla (think massive, inhouse battery production to help bring costs down), spend some time with this FastCompany article. It's fascinating.

+ If you haven't had enough of Musk, check out the latest on the Hyperloop idea he proposed, but left to to others to sort out because he doesn't have the time (after all, he's running Tesla and SpaceX).


*2. Who the hell are all these superheroes?

I didn't grow up with my nose stuck in comic books like some other nerds I know, and, sadly, I pay the price for that these days whenever I go to see a superhero movie. I found myself sitting in the Captain America: Civil War movie scratching my head trying to figure out who everyone was. Thankfully, here's a guide to the Marvel universe to help those of you who are like me.

*3. Fighting Cyber With Cyber

"Now Big Blue says it will train Watson to fight cybercrime. The company says its security division will team up with a group of eight universities to teach the cloud-based computer, programmed to learn subjects in a manner similar to the human brain, on the complicated subject of cyber security."

"The plan will combine some 20 years' worth of IBM's collected knowledge on how to protect computers against hacking with other constantly updating data sources, like databases of software vulnerabilities and research papers."


Finally, a practical, real world use for all the artificial intelligence activity being reported on!  What better way to fight cybercrime than with a cybercrime fighting super computer hero - Super Watson.  I guess we should add Super Watson to the guide linked in number *2 above.

*4. Rut roh! If you live in a glass house...

From Time - Emma Watson Admits to Offshore Company After Exposure in the Panama Papers

"Watson is not the first celebrity named in the Panama Papers: previous reports on the cache (which is now in a searchable database online) have mentioned Simon Cowell, Jackie Chan and Sarah Ferguson, as well as a number of world leaders."

Well, at least she got out front and admitted it.

*5. "Slider, you stink"

Top Gun turns thirty this year - man, I feel old. But, I'm not embarrassed to say that the opening credits and the final dogfight scene of Top Gun still get me fired up. As cheesy as Top Gun is, it's still AWESOME. Given the opportunity, I think I can have a complete conversation using nothing but Top Gun movie quotes. When I was in college I had a very rigorous (I use "very rigorous" lightly) elective by the name of America on Film and we were fortunate to have Jim Cash (one of the writers for Top Gun) come speak to us. Needless to say, it made an impression on me.

BOTTOM OF THE NEWS

*Sign up below to receive Top of the News via email.

No comments: